The Keys Kindness Project
KINDNESS … is not just something you do so you can feel good about yourself, although that’s one of the benefits.
Dr James Doty , Professor of Neurosurgery at Stanford University, says,”Practicing compassion with intention has a positive physiological effect on the body. It can lower blood pressure, boost your immune response and increase your calmness. “
His research has shown him that practicing kindness and compassion can actually lower your blood pressure and boost your immune system.
So were are doing as much as we can in the way of inspiring kindness and compassion in our community:
1) Kindness cards that you can download and give to people, along with a random act of kindness. (kindness cards)*
2) A whole series of Kindness Bells with actual kindness quotes in text on the bell, as well as art. (Peace Bells – Kindness Series) Artists can pick the quote, from the list below, that will be written on each unique Peace Bell. Our current bell is called, “Silver Flyer.” Painted by Katie McCosh and Johnny Bartek, this bell captures the laid-back vibe of the Keys and the spirit of the tarpon, one of Florida’s best sport fish.
3) Kindness in Action: One cannot engage in kindness without having compassion. Keys to Peace is actively seeking businesses who are giving back to their communities to join an overgrowing group of “Compassionate Business Partners.”
4) “Kindness in Action” group meets every month at our leadership meetings (see newsletter for dates and locations) to discuss ways we can continue to spread kindness throughout our community.
5) Kindness to Mother Earth (from mm 84 to mm 86 in Islamorada) This Adopt a Highway project arc went on from 2014 – 2015. We cleaned the two mile roadside four times a year and gave up this highly competitive spot to another worthy group.
Also, we recently donated $ 430 to the Everglades Science Center (ESC) in Tavernier. This shows a strong local commitment to the research work done by the ESC and it’s contribution to monitoring the health of the Everglades.
6) Kindness to Self – Guided Meditation sessions led by Eileen Daley at The Long Walk Home . have morphed into weekly meditations are Heart House (228 Buttonwood Ln, Tavernier) led by a group of dedicated members. Class meets at 5:15 on Tuesdays and goes until 5:45 PM.
7) Kindness to the Community – . Many people in our community cannot afford to do their laundry. The cost for doing laundry has increased over the past few years and now costs around $10 for a full load if you wash and dry it. You can help by making a donation. Vouchers will be given to those in need at Island Coin Laundry in Key Largo where they can wash & dry at that location.
This has been a very successful program with many taking advantage of it. Donations pour in, some on a monthly basis.
If you want to donate to this project, you can do so here; any amount is welcome, even just a quarter!
And perhaps our biggest Kindness to Community project yet is the upcoming Keys Kindness Festival and our 3rd Annual GIVEAWAY. Get all the info here.
Read Mimi Greek’s brief essays on the Keys Kindness Project (KKP) during 2015 (KKP 2015 History), How to be Kind to Yourself (kkp-be kind to yourself), How to Create Kindness in Your Community (kkp – kindness to community), and The Scientific Benefits of Kindness (kkp benefits of kindness).
*Kindness Cards (you can download this PDF file here are the images of front and back. Just download and pull into a Word Document or PDF and just print them out and cut apart:
If you run across one of our members, ask them for a kindness card. Here is the image of current—professionally made— kindness cards:
Kindness Series Peace Bells
Artists can pick the phrase they want, and, when picked, that phrase will “grey out”. For example, Marlene has picked number 0, and Wayne has picked #23. If you want to choose a phrase, and you are painting a bell, contact email@example.com.
|0||“Kindness is Love in action”||~||Mimi Greek|
|1||“Be kind whenever possible; it is always possible.”||~||the Dalai Lama|
|2||“How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it.”||~||George Elliston|
|3||“A spark of kindness can start a fire of love.”||~||Nishan Panwar|
|4||“Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.”||~||Mark Twain|
|5||“My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.”||~||the Dalai Lama|
|6||“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.”||~||Plato|
|7||“No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.”||~||Aesop|
|8||“There is no small act of kindness. Every compassionate act makes large the world.”||~||Mary Anne Radmacher|
|9||“Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.”||~||Lao Tzu|
|10||“The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention.”||~||Kahlil Gibran|
|11||“The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful then a thousand heads bowing in prayer.”||~||Mahatma Gandhi|
|12||“WHEN GIVEN THE CHOICE BETWEEN BEING RIGHT OR BEING KIND, CHOOSE KIND.”||~||R.J. Palacio|
|13||“Be kind. Always if you have a choice, be kind.”||~||Anne Rice|
|14||“Kindness trumps everything. Kind people are magnets for all of the good things in life.”||~||Tom Giaquinto|
|15||“Kindness “Every sunrise is an invitation for us to arise and brighten someone’s day.”||~||Richelle E. Goodrich|
|16||“When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they’ll remember and be kind to someone else. And it’ll become like a wildfire.”||~||Whoopi Goldberg|
|17||“That best portion of a good man’s life, his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.”||~||William Wordsworth|
|18||“A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.”||~||Saint Basil|
|19||“Random Acts of Kindness”||–||unk|
|20||“To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue; these five are gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness.”||~||Confucius|
|21||“Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate.”||~||Albert Schweitzer|
|22||“Kindness is the sunshine in which virtue grows.”||~||Robert Green Ingersoll|
|23||“Be kind to unkind people. They need it the most.”||~||Ashleigh Brilliant|
|24||“Kindness is contagious!”||~||anonymous|